Gutenberg Reader

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 12:41:29 EST 2009

I've uploaded a stack to my userspace at RevOnline (user name pmbrig)
called The Gutenberg Reader. Bug reports, comments, and feedback are
appreciated.

 From the help text:

"The Gutenberg Reader is literally an entire library of over 30,000
volumes, right on your desktop. Well, almost literally. The Reader is
designed to import and display etexts generated by Project Gutenberg™.
These are free public domain texts available online — the Gutenberg
catalog has over 30,000 books (and growing), and with their partners
and affiliates makes over 100,000 titles available to anyone with
internet access. Any of the Gutenberg texts are accessible within a
couple minutes from within the Reader.

"The Gutenberg pages are actually designed to be viewed with any web
browser, without any additional application or software required, and
you don't really have to use the Reader to access them. However, the
Reader downloads a Gutenberg text and replaces simple quotes with
curly quotation marks, double dashes with m-dashes, gets rid of the
end-of-line characters within paragraphs, and presents the text in a
book-like layout, using the fontface of your choice. You can navigate
easily through the book with mouseclicks or using the arrowkeys, set a
bookmark, and make notes on any passage. The result is a completely
different reading experience from what you are probably used to on a
computer screen."

The Reader is also available in a standalone application at

http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig/Gutenberg.html

Many thanks to all on this list who have helped me (mostly
unknowingly) over the years I have been (mostly) lurking in the
background. I have picked up countless tips on the vicissitudes of Rev
without which I'd have been lost. Some of us benefit quietly from all
the amazing information shared here, and we may not always speak up
about it.

a grateful amateur,

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com