MIDI (was: Music duration)

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Wed Feb 18 10:50:07 EST 2009

*This is the MIDI file format reference I used when first learning
about MIDI:
http://jedi.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/links/music/midifile.htm

*This also seems useful, especially in describing the MIDI byte
structure:
http://music.nuim.ie/music/sites/cpaneltest.nuim.ie.music/files/images/documents/StandardMidiFiles.pdf

*You don't have to provide data for all possible parameters.  For
instance, MIDI Builder does not indicate a specific velocity
(loudness) for each MIDI note event. It just sets the value at 64 (mid
range) and leaves it.  If we were using a velocity-sensitive input
device, i.e. a touch sensitive MIDI keyboard controller, then we would
want to "trap" the value of the velocity for each note.

*Print out the transcript dictionary reference for binaryEncode. Look
especially at the H parameter.

Kurt