How to compare bettwen .rev file

Ben Rubinstein benr at cogapp.com
Wed Feb 18 07:38:55 EST 2009

Nhan, Tran Thi Thanh wrote:
> Is there any one who can help answer this question? My group are
> developing a project and how can we compare the difference between .rev
> file to know what each one does on the same file because we usually copy
> the same file to each one's computer and modified.

We use a script that generates a text file in a simple XML format that
includes all of the scripts in a a stack, and optionally the text of fields
and user properties as well.  We've integrated this into our work flow so that
this file is generated automatically each time we save the stack; and because
we use a source code control system (we use Subversion) we always check this
text file into the SCC at the same time as the stack.  So to see what's
changed between any two versions, you can use your favourite text file
comparison tool (BBEdit, diff, Eclipse etc).

This works for us because our stacks our mostly about the scripts, rather than
the ornaments (buttons, fields, graphics etc).  It may not be useful to you -
if you'd like a copy, drop me a line.

I also have a standalone stack that attempts to do a more thorough job of
representing every element of a stack in an XML file, principally for the
purpose of comparing two stacks.  But I really only use that in recovery
situations, and it's a continual work in progress.

- Ben