Can a modal stack has a close box?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 06:13:46 EST 2009

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Tiemo Hollmann TB <toolbook at kestner.de> wrote:

> From: Tiemo Hollmann TB <toolbook at kestner.de>
> Subject: Can a modal stack has a close box?
> To: "'How to use Revolution'" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Date: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 2:52 AM
> Hello,
>
> Is there any option to give a modal stack a close box in
> the title bar? Or
> is it the only choice to close a modal stack by my own
> close button?
>
> As far as I experience it, all stack controls are ignored
> at a modal stack.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tiemo

Hi Tiemo,

As it happens, I'm facing the opposite problem in Java: there's always a close box and you can't seem to get rid of it. UI guideline-wise the main reason why there's no Close box is simple: what is the effect of closing the dialog box without clicking on any of the presented options?

If the dialog only has a single button (OK, Cancel,...), it's clear: the close box is simply the same as the only button. You could conceivably have a standard that the Close box is the equivalent of Cancel, but what does that say about a dialog box with two buttons "Choice 1" and "Choice 2" without a "Cancel" button?

Best to avoid user confusion altogether, and force them to click one of the options you provided as buttons.

Just my 2 cents,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====