McAfee virus detection deletes valid file

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Feb 17 02:27:33 EST 2009

> I am working with a developer who has written a custom VBA module for XP
> and Vista. McAfee identifies this module as a virus and deletes it,
> which renders a large part of our software useless. The module does
> create and delete some temporary files, and also sends a shell command
> that launches our Rev app. We don't know if either of these things makes
> a difference.

I'm sure it does... Norton does the same thing; any VB Script that touches
the "FileSystemObject" gets flagged and either blocked or you get this
annoying dialog letting the user know that something fishy's going on an
asking them to approve, approve once or deny the running of the script.

I'm sorry to say, but IMHO McAfee is to Norton as a nuclear bomb is to a
firecracker... which is to say that I have had 100x as much trouble with
people who have McAfee on their systems as I've had with Symantec/Norton.

However there is a light at the end of the tunnel if all else fails... if
the VBA module can be compiled into an actual DLL with Visual Basic (or the
equivalent), then you can run a script that *calls* on the DLL to do it's
functionality and Norton and McAfee won't block it since there's no way for
them to know what a generic DLL call can do, so they just let it go.

See the tip here for an example of what I mean and how to call it:
  http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/ext002.htm

If you need any help with this, Jacque, contact me offlist...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/