[OT] Rev + BBEdit

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 13:26:26 EST 2009

DIFF - 'Search for differences' in BBEdit is very useful, especially for
less English like code, such as Flash Actionscipt.  It does the diff between
two documents and lines them up side by side with sync scrolling, makes a
list of the differences by line numbers (in a separate window), and then
allows clicking the lines to highlight both docs.  Of course, there are two
buttons for updating the old/new version.  If you want, I could do a quick
40 sec vid to show you how it works.

I think 'folding conditionals' is the use of disclosure triangles to
hide/show logical runs of code such as (repeat..end repeat), (if..then..end
if) so that these collapse into one line.  Again, BBEdit would be an example
of this, or Dreamweaver, etc.

My addition to this list would be a button to press that would be like
'snapshot' in virtual machines.  This means a version of the frontmost
script is archived and can be named, and restored.  In previous years I used
to use Chipp's archive palette button to save a version of the entire stack.

I guess another aspect would be the use of an adjustable palette for holding
the feature buttons we like.

Thanks for taking this under your wing.  It should be interesting.  Of
course, there will be the issue of which version of Rev.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas