[OT] Rev + BBEdit

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 16 12:21:26 EST 2009

Thanks for the ideas, folks.  I've long believed it should be possible
to make a really good editor for Transcript, and since Ken and I have
been using ROSE for some time maybe I'll be able to add more of these at
it continues to evolve.

The hardest part is Rev compatibility, since it's currently built for
MC:  editing works well, but historically MC and Rev both mash editing
and debugging into the same window, which makes swapping out editors
MUCH harder that it would be otherwise, and arguably makes for a UI
which compromised both tasks.

My long term goal is to separate debugging from editing, with controls
and layout optimized for those very different tasks.  If I can get a
version of ROSE with that separation running in MC without dependency on
any of its components it shouldn't be hard to port it to Rev.

For reference I've compiled the wish list thus far below.  Feel free to
keep adding new ideas.  Ideally, Rev is fast enough and flexible enough
that we should never need to go outside the engine to edit our scripts.

I've broken the list into two parts; the ones here at the top could use
more explanation to describe exactly what you're after - are they
documented in BBEDit?  If so I'll just look 'em up there:

- Diff
- Plugin facility so we can integrate Git
- folding conditionals
- refactoring support
- cTags
- conditional balancing

- Macros
- clippings/boilerplates
- find differences
- parentheses balancing
- integrated version control
- integrated lint
- plugin facility for tools
- powerful Search/Replace which optionally uses GREP
   with optional Find All search mode

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation