Arrays and Custom Props

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Sat Feb 14 14:19:10 EST 2009

	Well, Bernard and Scott, good to know I'm not alone.  I've always
been ambivalent about custom properties.  I see their power and
usefulness, but more often than not, I spare myself the mental strain
of recalling what prop is stored where, what it is called, and how to
display all of the ones I have set, by instead using a hidden field
dedicated to "settings" or "preferences", which I can call up in a
snap or display all the time while I'm scripting, and edit by typing
into it.  This field of settings can be loaded into one or more arrays
at start up.  Jim Ault's good overview in response to this thread
shows that strategies for developing a working relationship with
custom props is not trivial.

	Regards,

		Gregory

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009, at 11:13 PM, Bernard wrote:

> Don't feel too bad.  So the dictionary does contain an example for
> what you
> needed, but after 6 years of using Revolution I still have to look
> up how do
> work with custompropertysets & arrays almost every time I use them
> together!
> Not to mention that I can never remember which way round 'split' &
> 'combine' work.
> I think I must have been particularly stupid at the time when I was
> learning
> how to use arrays, and my confusion has been permanently wired into
> my brain
> :-)
>
> Bernard

> on mouseUp
>   put "that makes 2 of us" into response["Bernard"]
> end mouseUp
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi

[Jim Ault followed his comment below with a good overview of working
with custom properties.]