AW: Problems deleting folders on Vista - error #?

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Fri Feb 13 16:50:32 EST 2009

Hi Jacqueline,

An installer has to have admin privileges in order to install to the Program
Files directory. This is why you always get prompted to allow an installer
to install. It also usually needs to write to the registry. Secret: Any EXE
with the word *install* or *update* anywhere in its name automatically gets
elevated to admin privileges in Vista and you are prompted to allow it to
run. LOL.

Once the user gives permission, now it can create a directory under Program
Files to hold your app. The Program Files directory is set to administrators
only. So all other directories under it inherit this class.

But, once your installer creates a directory under Program Files, let's say
MyRevApp, then if your installer has the ability to alter the UAC of folder
MyRevApp, and set it to all users - total control, then your Rev app doesn't
need admin privileges to read, write, create, and delete to this folder or
any other folders you create under MyRevApp. Because all folders and files
created under MyRevApp inherit MyRevApp's security settings.

As to the user's Documents, the user who owns the folder usually already has
all rights to it. The same applies to specialFolderPath(26) and
specialFolderPath(28). Usually ;-)

Jim Bufalini

PS. I just tested on a French XP machine and using specialFolderPath(5)
comes out as Mes documents.