AW: Problems deleting folders on Vista - error #?

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Fri Feb 13 15:21:58 EST 2009

Hi again Tiemo,

> Btw. How do you install an app to run as admin? I just know to do it by
> hand
> with right mouse key.

Create a shortcut to the EXE. This is actually a .lnk file. Then right click
on the shortcut. Click on Advanced. Check Run as administrator. Then execute
the shortcut rather than the EXE.

Problem with this is the user will always be prompted to allow the program
to run. A little trick I use is setting the UAC of directories or files to
all users - full control. This can be done manually by right clicking on the
directory. Go to Security tab. Set it from there. Otherwise you need
something like your installer to do it when you install the program. Take a
look at the Nullsoft NIS installer (free) and there is a plugin for setting
UAC (User Access Control) of either or both your app and directories. Any
files in a directory or subdirectories of a directory inherit the UAC of the
parent dir.

Another thing you should be aware of. Not all folders in Vista are real
folders. Some are just pointers that point to the real folder and are there
for XP compatibility. These can't be deleted.

Jim Bufalini