OT: address to access hidden Samba share?

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Tue Feb 10 07:54:45 EST 2009

THis is work in progress.

I'm experimenting with storing files on a shared NAS, and I want a Rev
application to access them (read and write) but I don't want to encourage
users to dump stuff in them directly. Most of the PC's are running XP, but
the video editing server is running OSX.

>From the Finder in OSX you can access the shares using:

smb://192.168.1.104/archive

and it seems that any computer on the network can also use an equivalent
form:

smb://graveyard/archive

where "graveyard" is the name of the share.

Now "hiding" the samba share on the NAS, seems to change its name "appending
a "$" sign. So that even though it is not visible, you can access it like
this:

smb://graveyard/Architex$

where Architex is the name of the hidden share.

The next step is to figure out how to address files on these shares cross
platform using Revolution. Any ideas?