Detecting CYMK jpeg images

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Feb 6 07:18:00 EST 2009

Does anyone have a method in Transcript to detect the colour space of a jpeg
image?

As you doubtless know, Rev can't open a CMYK JPEG; however the error it throws
if you try to open one (eg by setting the filename of an image object to the
URL of a jpeg file that happens to be CMYK) is simply "could not open image",
which is the same as it gives if the URL doesn't exist, requires
authentification, is in an unsupported format, etc.

I can improve my reporting somewhat by retrieving the data of a URL directly
after receiving a "could not open image"; then I can detect a 404 or 401, for
example.  But if I actually have data, and it appears to be in JFIF format,
then I'd like to be able to establish the colour space.

I know somebody (sorry, forget who - or perhaps more than one person?) has
done work to read IPTC and EXIF data out of JPEG files; did that work also run
across the colour space?

Any suggestions (whatever I does has to be in pure Transcript, not using
externals or external apps) gratefull received.

TIA,

Ben