Odd-shaped buttons . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 15:18:01 EST 2009

Chipp Walters wrote:

"ButtonGadget has been making different shaped buttons for Rev for years."

Yes, I know; but I have no money! And, I am on a never-ending
quest for a cheap (preferably FREE) solution to what I regard as
everyday problems in Runtime Revolution. I also suppose, the good folks
who make ButtonGadget would not be overly pleased if I took their
stuff apart (i.e. reverse engineering) and ripped them off - quite apart
from an awkward feeling that I have that may not be terribly moral.

J. Landman Gay wrote:

"Just draw the shape you want with it."

Um, I've never been a great fan of the graphic tools contained within
Runtime Revolution.

However, as I have just found out:

"ODD BUTTONS.rev" at revOnline,

any old GIF or PNG with transparent bits behaves perfectly well
as an odd-shaped button - I made mine in GIMP. What "threw me off
balance" was what you said about 'points', nothing else.

What i should like to do is make a stack rather like my
recent "BUTTON BASHER.rev" that can do the same sort of
work for rather predictable buttons that are non-rectangular:
such as circles, ellipses, and polygons. However, Button Basher
relies on EXPORT SNAPSHOT which has two disadvantages:

1. A snapshot is always rectangular.

2. It never contains transparent areas.

Now I am well aware I can set up scaleable circles, ellipses
and so on: but the main problem is how to combine those with
button texts (that are also adjustable) and then export the end-result
as a GIF or PNG image.

I had a look at an early version of ButtonGadget and admire it greatly,
and do not really wish to compete with it in terms of all those
delicious glassy buttons and so on. What I do think is fantastic is
how the developers seem to manage to get around the problem I have
just described.

Hey-Ho: lots of coffee and not enough sleep for me :)

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.