OT: what are the components of a standard Mac install?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Feb 3 12:06:32 EST 2009

Most Mac "deinstallers" I have seen are actually just shell scripts
that delete everything from where the installer put them. If you know
how to write shell scripts then it shouldn't be all that hard to write
a "deinstaller". The real trick is getting it to run as an admin. Not
sure how to do that. I would also pay attention to removing things
like preference files that you create in the process of running the
app that may have become corrupted (hence the need to deinstall).

I guess the real question is, how much of the users preferences do you
want to retain if any? If a "factory reset" condition is what you are
after, then just delete everything, otherwise you have to think about
what to retain.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management