Subject: Drawing a curved shape - 2nd attempt

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon Feb 2 14:57:54 EST 2009

Randall,

> I have never asked for a game server.  I dont build games... Have
> never even played one.

On December 26th you started a thread asking how to build "real time
multi-player interaction" using a "central server". That's generally
called a game server. I was one of the people who spend a fair amount
of time trying to show you how to do it with sockets. You weren't
interested because the sockets API was too messy for you.

If you are going to ask how to do something, don't come back with a
discussion on the inadequacies of the solution if you expect people to
keep helping you out.

> All of you should be agreeing with me, not fighting me.  These
> things i ask for are obvious ways for xtalk to do for today's
> computing world what smalltalk and hypertalk did for the mid 1980's.

Perhaps that's the problem. We don't all agree with you, and I'm not
so sure we should. Apparently we are missing how you have the obvious
solutions to revolutionize programming. I disagree. Mostly I just hear
a lot of buzz words and a desire to have Rev do everything you dream
up, automatically.

> I am writing deep pattern engine and symantic engine in xtalk, so
> dont dare say i am unwilling to go the coding distance.  I have
> written self optimized multithreading into xtalk.  I wrote a
> symantic indexing system into xtalk.  I have written a full
> resolution independent 3D engine in xtalk.

I don't know anything about your projects, but I do know your behavior
on the list. You raise threads about game servers, file system
monitors and vector graphic engines, and then a week later you are on
to something else, disgruntled that there wasn't a Rev command for
what you wanted to do. And please, be credible about what you claim to
have done. A "full resolution independent 3D engine"? "Self optimized
multitreading"? Or experiments with idle handlers and drawing tools?
Your own tone is the difference between me taking interest in what
you've done and being completely put off. You don't have to prove
yourself with big words - if you've done something interesting in
xTalk this list is full of people who will fully appreciate it. Myself
included... I discovered Hypercard in 4th grade and it still seems
like I learn something new on this list every couple days from all
corners of the community.

> How is the rev product threatened by deep thinking people wondering
> aloud what features would make xtalk that much more powerful and
> contemporary?

It's not. Please stop anointing your "deep" thoughts as something
everyone should agree with. You are entitled to your visions for
computing but you'll have to get used to the fact that we don't all
agree with you or bow to your visions.

Anyway, this isn't my list any more than yours, so I'll quit taking up
so much bandwidth. Randall, I simply think that you *could* be a
productive contributor with interesting ideas, and I think I (among
others) could help you quite a bit in channeling them. But right now,
it seems like a waste of time as you mostly appear interested in
everyone agreeing what amazing ideas you have.