bar code support

dlwild at gmail dlwild at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 08:58:48 EST 2009

Hi Ruslan,

Check out the links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF417

http://grandzebu.net/index.php?page=/informatique/codbar-en/pdf417.htm

In short, a pdf417 is a stacked linear bar code, and my particular use
would be for inventory management. For those who don´t want to follow
the link, here is an excerpt:

The PDF417 bar code (also called a symbol) consists of 3 to 90 rows,
each of which is like a small linear bar code. Each row has:

a quiet zone. This is a mandated minimum amount of white space before
the bar code begins.
a start pattern which identifies the format as PDF417. Every type of
bar code symbology has a unique start and stop pattern.
a "row left" codeword containing information about the row (such as
row number and what error correction rate the row is using)
1 - 30 data codewords : Codewords are a group of bars and spaces
representing one or more numbers, letters, or other symbols.
All rows have the same number of codewords.
Every codeword contains four bars and four spaces (where the 4 in the
name comes from).
The total width of a codeword is 17 times the width of the narrowest
allowed vertical bar (the X dimension). This is where the 17 in the
name comes from.
Each codeword starts with a bar and ends with a space.
There are 929 codewords to choose from, 900 for data, and 29 for
special functions.
Each codeword is printed using one of three distinct clusters:
A cluster is a bar-space pattern for each of the 929 codewords
No bar-space pattern is repeated between clusters
The row number determines which cluster to use
The cluster is the same for all codewords in a row.
The purpose of clusters is to determine which row (mod 3) the codeword
is in, allowing the scan to be skewed from the horizontal. For
instance, the scan might start on row 6 at the start of the row, and
be on row 10 at the end.
A "row right" codeword with more information about the row.
A stop pattern.
A quiet zone.
Along with the Data Matrix format, this symbolism can be used to
generate postage accepted by the United States Postal Service. PDF417
is also selected by the airline industry's Bar Coded Boarding Pass
standard (BCBP) as the 2D bar code symbolism for paper boarding
passes. PDF417 is the standard selected by the Department of Homeland
Security as the machine readable zone technology for RealID compliant
driver licenses and state issued identification cards.

The pdf 417 can encode up to 2700 bytes what explain its name of
"Portable Document File". The encoding is done in two stages : first
the datas are converted to "codeword" (High level encoding) then those
are converted to bars and spaces patterns. (Low level encoding).
Moreover an error correction system with several levels is included,
it allows to reconstitute badly printed, erased, fuzzy or torn off
datas.

The pdf417 symbols can store much more data than the regular bar
codes, and it can contain redundant information in case the surface
scrubs, get dirty, or otherwise damaged. It´s worth looking into if
you want to produce a machine-readable/printable symbol that has more
than the regular information found on bar codes and may be exposed to
wear and tear due to storage or transport conditions.

All the best and thanks for the help,

Leonardo