Interface question

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Dec 22 15:56:38 EST 2009

Recently, Jacque Landman Gay wrote:

> I've got another interface problem I can't decide how to solve, maybe
> some of you have ideas....

Jacque, maybe I'm not reading the description of your situation correctly,
but if the fields into which the users enter text is scaled so small that
the text is illegible, this seems like less-than-desirable usability.  Could
you have "normal" size text entry fields alongside the scaled down preview
so that while text in the preview may not be legible, text in the entry
fields is?  You could make connections between the preview and the entry
fields using color, lines, position, or a combination of these.

Another option could be to keep the scaled down preview as is, but clicking
on any text entry field temporarily displays a large proxy entry field
(almost like being magnified); when the user hits return or enter, the proxy
field disappears and the preview is updated.

Again, it's not clear to me what's actually going on with your set up, so
the above options may not work.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director