How do I paste into a different app?

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Sun Dec 20 16:32:03 EST 2009

Is there a way to paste text from my stack to the text insertion point of a different program?

I can create a floating window (system window) which floats above all other windows. The idea is that the user would click on a field in the target window (say a password field in a web browser) and then click a button on the floating window that will paste the password into it.

I've tried the "type" and "paste" commands but they don't do anything outside of the stack. Is there a way to remotely issue a paste command or simulate typing?

Thanks,
Bill Vlahos