A Rev Web Project and On-Rev working together?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed Dec 16 16:45:14 EST 2009

A http server (like on-rev) needs to always return something. making
that something (as in your case) be "<html></html>" seems to be rather
unusual and nondescript, but should work. still you might want to
check "the result" in your rev stack, to make sure the script on the
server actually works as expected.

Also, you're missing validation and security. anyone can write
anything into your text file, if he or she wants to, and sooner or
later they will. If there are a lot of users  (hundrets per second),
you might also run into the problem of some text not being stored in
the file, because another user overwrites the first change (competing
file access).

Note that there's script errors in your supplied example, so i guess
you're missing those too. For example "URL:" in the irev file should
of course be "URL", and probably i'm missing some too :)

A file created by you might not be accessible to the process the web
server runs at (unix user handling and file access restrictions). But
this is more a "what if everything else is correct and it still fails
unexpectedly" scenario.

If things don't work, try to return stuff. for example putting the
data into the text field might fail, and then "the result" would
contain useful information so you might want to return that:
put the result

i think that setting the clipboard, without the user demanding it, is
evil, and should never be done (ever).