driven mad by the message box!

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Dec 13 21:06:50 EST 2009

Peter Alcibiades wrote:
> Does anyone know why
>
>  	put shell()
>
> should bring up the message box, showing the last command exectuted from it
> (and not the command that was executed by the shell() step in the script?
>
> I've been racking my brains for an hour or more, trying just about
> everything I can think of, and nothing will stop the thing.  Well, there is
> one thing that will stop it.  The second time you execute the command, the
> message box closes.  I don't know why it opened, and have even less idea
> why it should then close!

I think it opens because the shell command always returns via stndout,
and the message box is where the return value will go if you use "put"
without specifying a variable. What I don't get is why it closes again.
It should stay open. What command are you sending?

Did you get a return value for the first command? If it hasn't returned
yet, then maybe you're seeing the results of that one, and the second,
expected one hasn't come back yet. Long shot, I know.

> Also, there is a small button or checkbox at the top left of the message
> box.  What is it for?  I can't see that it does anything, but it can
> definitely be checked or unchecked.

I don't see that, or maybe I don't know where to look. What OS are you
running?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com