[Mandelbrot] Code Samples/Comparisons

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Mon Dec 7 19:32:29 EST 2009

Thanks Alejandro, Andre, Phil, Roger, Till, and others!

> How much time does this
> take to you, from understanding the
> code to creating the stack?

I should have logged it eh? I would say the research on Mandelbrots was
definitely the hardest part; that took me a few hours and I actually walked
through the "How to Draw a Mandelbrot by Hand" wikiHow article. That was
spread over a couple days. Finding the George Taylor article really gave me
a leg up on coding the routine, and I would say I probably put an hour or so
into actually building the stack, altogether, getting the basic plotting
done. Then another 30 minutes getting the zoom function to work the way I
wanted to and tweaking its layout.

If you notice, the code in my uploaded stack varies a bit from what I
posted, and runs slightly faster. Since then I've been really thinking about
how to further speed up the rendering and how to best to handle the
colorization part.

I'm really glad you liked the post and stack; it's fun to play with.

- Bill