Rev 4.0 article on TheServerSide

Neal Campbell nealk3nc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 09:28:05 EST 2009

There are a lot of ways to sell a "new" language: paradigm changes that make
immediate sense to programmers; toolkit environment; ease of learning; and,
maybe doing things that are really difficult in other languages very
elegantly.

Truthfully, I think Rev hits the last two items but not the first two. As a
"traditional" programmer, I think you actually have to unlearn the
traditional way of coding to be proficient in Rev (not that I would claim I
am). People used to looking at the world thru a C-based language will not
find Rev a paradigm changing world, its just different and a large break
from the world they know. Likewise, the toolkit environment is better than
many languages but not near the top of "best in class". In other words, its
not a "language switcher".

The things that Rev really does well is ease of learning and I honestly
think its graphics and multimedia capabilities (as well as the new internet
plugin when it matures) are the world-class stuff. Therefore, I would
personally target those areas for showing how Rev shines.

Concerning the ease of learning:
Now that Revmedia is free, I would get it into every computer possible. Pay
to have Dell include it in their computer set. Give 100 copies to every
school in the world. Start an evangelist-movement on college campuses to
give liberal arts majors an introduction to programming. You might have to
financially support these efforts but if you can get it introduced this way,
it won't be the new C#, it ill be the new Excel.

Concerning doing hard things elegantly:
Instead of trying to fight it out on the blogs, I think having code/project
articles on sites like Beautifulcode.com, Stackoverflow.com, etc. is the way
to go viral. If the magic that I regularly see announced on this reflector
was converted to a "how-to" article on these sites, we eould win by doing
instead of trying to sell something to people who are already happy with
what they have.

Just my 2 cents!

Best wishes for the holidays,
Neal Campbell