Snow Leopard

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 19:57:51 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Bernard Devlin<bdrunrev at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am I right in understanding that end users need to make a decision as
> to whether or not Safari/Firefox runs as 32 bit or 64 bit?

Early adopters of Snow Leopard who are testing the alpha version of
the RunRev plugin will need to set Safari to 32 bit.
Firefox 3.5.2 (the latest version) is only 32 bit anyway, so has no problem.

> In my experience most users don't understand what things like this
> mean. Or even what it means for an app to be PPC, Intel or Universal
> Binary (last week I had to spend 10 minutes explaining that difference
> to a long-time Mac user).

Agreed, but I don't think that type of user is likely to be testing
alpha software either :-)

> If the need for setting browsers to run as 32 bit is true then anyone
> relying on distributing Rev apps is in for a lot of support calls --
> especially if browsers on Snow Leopard are running as 32 bit by
> default.

Apps built with Revolution are not affected by this. It is only
revlets using the revWeb plugin.
On Snow Leopard, Safari runs as 64 bit by default and this does need
to be changed to allow testing revlets.

> The only appropriate solution to this would be for RunRev to build 64
> bit versions of at least revlets, and to be able to do some browser
> detection and offer the user the appropriate revlet.

Hopefully Rev will become totally 64 bit over the next year or so, but
as a start, only the revWeb plugin needs to be made 64 bit. Hopefully
this will not be long coming.

Cheers,
Sarah