Launch another app from my standalone

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Sun Aug 30 07:11:43 EDT 2009

Dear Adrian,

> Jim,
> Double spacing works for me.

Apologies for the poorly formatted posts.

> I don't want to give an explicit full pathname because someone else
> (user) will be saving the Folder
> (containing all the exe's for use) and I cannot guarantee it will be
> in the path I might specify.

So, you need to grab the path and filename they specify, at the time they
specify it, and store it somewhere.

> Thought I could save requiring full pathname by the use of the docs
> example:
>
> set the defaultFolder to it
> launch "MyProgram.exe"
> launch it

Nope. Now I understand what you are thinking. You thought by using "it,"
RunRev would magically find the location of an EXE on a user's hard drive
and launch it. Doesn't work that way. You have to know where it is.

> So are the docs are really incomplete by not giving a full contextual
> example.

Docs are hard to write because the writer writes to an audience level but
the audience can be outside the considerations of the writer.

> Does the code need to be:
> put defaultFolder into tOrigDefaultFolder
> set the defaultFolder --(what do I put here as the actual directory if
> its not a full pathname?)

You need to store it when the user saves and recall here.

> launch "MyProgram.exe"
> set the tOrigDefaultFolder
>
> If so, do I still need to specify a full pathname, or can I somehow
> refer to the defaultFolder

You need to specify the full path name. This is so in any programming
language.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini