Windows monitor resolution

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 05:26:29 EDT 2009

I don't know how useful this is:

Did a quick survey with the 30-odd kids I teach about 2 months
ago (all but 2 run Windows XP at home; 2 run Mint Linux):

1024 x 768 every time!

In my school:

3 machines running Ubuntu:  1024 x 768

Notary's office down the road (4 x Windows 2000 and 1 x Ubuntu):

4 at 1024 x 768, 1 at 1280 x 1024

1 G3 iMac:  1024 x 768

We run (at home):

MacMini PPC:  1024 x 768 (hey, wow, it still runs with that
                            monitor I fished out of a rubbish bin in
front of Tesco
                            in St Andrews 7 years ago!)

G4 Windtunnel:  1st monitor at 1400 x 1050
                                 2nd monitor at 1024 x 768

No-name-bits-n-bobs P4 running Ubuntu: 1024 x 768

G4 iBook: 1024 x 768

P2 running DOS with GEM GUI: 800 x 600

SO: unless you are going to send me a standalone to run with DOS
[ and I only have the blasted thing ($5) because the Bulgarian Dept.
of education think it is a good thing to drag 15 year olds through
PASCAL ] . . . . . . .