on-rev nomenclature

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Aug 27 14:03:55 EDT 2009

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> The new server engine driving on-rev.com accounts lets us use "put"
> statements without specifying a container yet without returning the
> result until the script is finished.  This is useful, simpler than
> coding CGIs using the older method of putting into a variable since any
> unassigned put pushed the data back to the client in the old CGI.
>
> Old school:
>
> on startup
>  put GetInfoStuff() into tMyVar
>  put OtherStuff() after tMyVar
>  put HeaderInfo() & tMyVar -- outputs to client
> end startup
>
> New on-rev way:
>
> on startup
>   put GetInfoStuff() -- buffers internally
>   put OtherStuff() -- more internal buffer
> end startup -- finally goes out
>

> So what does RR call this?  "Open puts"?

You don't need the "on startup", you can drop lines of code in "loose".
If you do that, the "put" outputs immediately on execution:

<?rev
put GetInfoStuff() -- sent out immediately
put OtherStuff() -- sent out next
?>

If you do enclose statements inside handler calls, then I think they do
buffer until the handler ends (but I haven't tested enough.)

And I don't know what you call those. :)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com