[OT] Who still uses a Mac PPC?

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Thu Aug 27 09:04:54 EDT 2009

I wouldn't try to run Win98 on bare-metal new hardware, as there are likely
to be new devices (including motherboard/chipset drivers) which Win98
doesn't know about. But within Virtual PC 2007 and at least VMWare it runs
perfectly. I haven't tried to run it under Parallels. Also, be sure you are
trying to install a "pure" Win98, not an OEM-branded distribution, as those
are often highly customized for the particular hardware they are provided
with.

Specific cases of trouble aside, it *does* work generally, and it's really
great to have the ability to have multiple machines-within-machines running
at near 100% performance with support for virtualization in modern CPUs. The
inability to run Mac OS within a virtualized environment is a huge
disadvantage for developers.

news:49CA2471-A5F1-4D8F-BF1D-5D2A184AF6BA at twft.com...