[OT] Who still uses a Mac PPC?

Paul Looney support at ahsomme.com
Wed Aug 26 12:58:13 EDT 2009

Richmond,
My "main" computer is a 1.67 Ghz., G4, 17" PowerBook, purchased the
day the Tiger OS was introduced.
I do almost everything on it and it goes with me on many travels (I
try to do as much work as possible on customer/client premises).
When working in my office I hook it up to an Apple 23" monitor (older
eyes, you know) and a Unicomp Model M keyboard (you can probably hear
the clicking and clacking across the Atlantic). Nothing beats an "M"!
I use an alternate keyboard when traveling as well: the Mac/PC Mini
Pro. It is not as good as the "M" but travels better. If I had to
choose just one keyboard to use for everything, I'd choose the Mini Pro.
Both at home and on the road I use a Macally Ice Mini mouse (light,
fast, simple).
It was always reassuring ("essential" a few years ago) that the
computer would boot up in OS 9 - which this PB does. But, in
reflecting a bit, I haven't even used "Classic" for over two years.
We do no work on PCs and I've never owned one.
Two weeks ago the new Mac Mini arrived. I bought it from Power Max in
Lake Oswego, Oregon and had them replace the 2 1/2" internal drive
with an Intel X 25E SSD prior to shipping. It is very fast. The
spinning "gear" you see on startup normally spins over 20 times -
with the SSD it spins 2.5 times!
When I can get a good, affordable, moderate capacity, SSD in a
MacBook Pro, it will be time to retire the PowerPC. I'm in no hurry.
Thanks for asking.
Paul Looney