[OT] Who still uses a Mac PPC?

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Wed Aug 26 07:16:46 EDT 2009

My 'main' machine is currently the 2.5 dual G5 with two 23" Cinema
displays, as it's very beneficial to have a great deal of real estate
for programming and my little MacBook pro can only do 1 extra monitor.

I'm stuck with the G5 for the time being as I have maxxed out the Pro
Tools original PCI bus hardware with the last PPC revision of PT 8.
The cards are so damn expensive to upgrade to a modern bus scheme that
it's not really worth it.

I have two g4s, an early 500mhz from 1999, and a newer, 'Silver Door'
model. Both were my previous Pro Tools machines. My son's 1999 Cube is
downstairs, non-functioning now but I have the parts to restore it. My
daughter's Purple DV edition iMac is also downstairs, awaiting repair.

My garage is a Mac graveyard with a representative of almost every
type of Mac ever made.   I fear if I send them away as  'electronic
waste' that they will end up in a far off place poisoning people with
toxics as they try and melt off the scrap gold of the motherboards and
get personal information from people's hard drives that they didn't
even bother to secure-erase.

I hate throwing away these oldest machines but they are pretty much
useless. Yes, they can be hooked up to 10-Base T networks,but the
browsers and internet software is not going to work that well with
today's java-powered net.

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco
http://barncard.com