long FieldName to owning stackName

William Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Tue Aug 25 05:51:13 EDT 2009

Well, it will always reference the mainstack of the control; by
definition, substacks aren't separate files, so the *file* name will
always be correct. Yes?

The issue with using "owner" is that technically you would have to
recurse through an indeterminate number of owner levels, for groups
nested within groups.

If you need the name of the substack, then you probably can't get away
with a one-liner

put the long name of control n into x
put word 1 to 2 of (char offset(" stack" && quote,x) to -1 of x)

It really depends on what you specifically need and the usage, but in
any event, I don't consider using chunk expressions to be a "hack" in
this case.