Vote to disable password protection for revMedia 4 stacks

Robert Maniquant rman at free.fr
Mon Aug 24 12:10:53 EDT 2009

For or against password protection in the free runrev version?

We chose to live in a world where exchange is at the basis of a lot of
things. The openSOurce movement also rests on that basis : I give my code
for free, but In exchange, i'll get a lot more for free too. Well, How do I
live as a programmer? Maybe i manage to sell a few (or a lot!) of tailored
made solutions, which I can do in less time since I share all these goodies.
So far I understand, both universe (commercial and shared open source) live
hand in hand and should work han in hand.

That leaves us with a refined question which scope extends further than just
the password protection : how can runrev favor the growth of a really cool
network of passionates and professionals with two levels : 1) share as many
ressources as possible 2) sell the one that needs to, thus virtually
creating a new market segment. Same question arises for the "grand public"
at large : how to share as many ressources as possible and how to sell as
many as possible too!

So far it seems that the group of runrev users managed to keep a very good
"group ware " attitude. i am very grateful to all the people who published
stacks who helped me grasp a few more things, and I will not miss the
occasion myself to do the same.
I do not know about other languages since I chose to concentrate on runrev,
and am happy with this choice. I did notice though, that the new version of
runrev online has had much less succes than the original on in terms of
number of stacks shared. Also classification of stack is really bad to my
view..

So that leads me to the following idea : there should be an incentive to
publish and share stacks and libraries, (and perhaps a kind of penality for
people who never do share anything... ?)

So my pratical proposition is :
a) to remove the possibility to protect a stack in the fully free version
for standAlones and for the web version

b) to ask the same price as former runrev media entry level to allow
protection (it was around 50 dollars). [This is already a big improvement
since previously for 50 dollars you could not create a standalone].

c) Studio and enterprise pricing seem ok to me. The SSL thingy should be
made more widely avaailable too, WHEN and only when its use will be more
widespsread and less expensive (to day SSL requires quite a few expensives
ceritficates anyways, so useless for everybody as things are yet).

and d) REWARD people who share stacks on revOnline by sending them free
upgrade coupons to the protected version. And free purchase coupons for
studio and enterprise versions. Also have a section "shared stacks" in the
monthly newsletter and put forward people who participate letting the have
an occasion to promote their products and services around runrev. As well as
a yearly "prize" of best shared stacks to honor their donors!
== > It cost nothing to runrev to do so
==> it is normal to reward people for participating
==> it is essential to communicate on the need to establish a great
community (this was one of the basis of HYPERCARD).

e) setUp a much better exchange network for all runrev developpers, a kind
of runrev market place. With well thought sharing strategies and rules. And
a place to make community bids to encourage developpers add some libraries
by sharing the cost among as many users as possible. (I' de really need a
better audio library but can't afford it alone!! smile!)

ANNOUCEMENT I would personnaly like to participate it he setting up of such
a platform and I do make a call here to constitute a pilot group !! PLease,
any people interested, drop a private message, thanks.

I have the feeling that runrev went TOO FAR TOO QUICKLY ahaed in providing a
full version totally free and not making a very big point on the groupWare
attitude which is very intelligent, sexy and really efficient, but which
needs to be actively SUSTAINED (and not only talked about as a selling
argument.. ). But.. it's by doing and taking the plunge that things happen
so, nice move runrev!