Syllabic division of words

capellan capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 22 03:28:36 EDT 2009

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Nicely done. The downloadable stack, that is.
> The RevLet through an error ("There was an error loading the revlet
> failed to read revlet stack").
> But the download - nice job, esp. in choosing the appropriate consonants
> to split on.
> I always enjoy your stuff.  Thanks for posting that.

Many thanks for your kind words!

This is an example of code, created like a quick hack
and (thanks to the versatility of revTalk) works mostly
as expected. :-D

Actually my stacks and code should be divided in two
broad categories: Full Awake and Half sleepy.

For example, this stack about syllabic division of words
fits nicely in the second category. Someday, when time
allows and being fully awake, i will check again this code
and rewrite it completely, probably in a long winded form.

Mark Swindell wrote:

> Very nice.  I had no trouble with the revlet using Safari... what a a
> great addition to Rev.
> BTW, what algorithms  do word processing programs use for hyphenating?

Great to know that it works in Safari for Mac OS X.

Precisely, i was looking in the OpenOffice repository
of code, but was unable to find an explanation
of the algorithm.

Adding many more exceptions to syllabic division is
inevitable, so in others iterations of this stack,
it will be unavoidable to create an interface that allow
users to add (and test) their own exceptions.

Please, report to my email, all incorrect examples of
syllabication that you encounter. ;-)

Thanks in advance!
Have a nice weekend.

alejandro