The 'window is behind the browser' problem

Sadhu Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Mon Aug 17 15:03:03 EDT 2009


Seems to me I recall seeing mention of the problem on this list, but 
anyway, this is basically a success story.

This weekend I tried a more complex application as a Revlet - a DB app.  
My normal is a client server model, postgreSQL on the server, and Rev on 
the desktop, using the database library.  Works great.  Didn't work as a 
revlet though, it hung and the browser froze up.

Turns out what was going on was, I had a call to  "answer" in the 
pre-open stack handler which either displayed something like "your 
database connection opened successfully with connection ID xxx" or, the 
revdberr message if the connection failed.  This answer dialog was going 
behind the browser (which could not be moved out of the way) so 
everything froze waiting for a click on the OK button.  Same behavior, 
IE or Firefox.

So I replaced all calls to the answer function with something that put 
the same answer into one of the fields on the main card being 
displayed.  Then bingo, everything was fine.

The success is, a nice DB app running in a browser windows, with all 
functionality working fine, both using IE or Firefox.  Whoo-hoo!  love it.

-- Sadhu



More information about the Use-livecode mailing list