Importing gMail?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Sat Aug 15 09:42:56 EDT 2009

On 14/8/09 01:15, James Hurley wrote:
> I'm thinking of sending a query (kind of an open ended survey) via gMail
> to members of my neighborhood association.
>
> I'm expecting a couple hundred replies. Is there some way to import the
>
> I've come to believe that there is nothing that members of this list
> cannot do. Is this a bridge too far?

Indicating once again how many ways there are to skin cats - when I've done
this sort of thing, I've used my standard mail client (whatever it happened to
be at the time) to collect the email responses (ie using it's own
rules/filtering system to collect the relevant emails into a particular
folder); then used Rev to analyse the emails to derive whatever the statistics
or results I was after.  Of course, you can configure your mail client to
retrieve your gmail mail.

Depending on the mail client, I used to use AppleScript to get mail out of
first Outlook; and then Entourage; now I use Thunderbird, which makes it even
easier because each mail folder is a single text file with a simple and well
documented format.  (Apple Mail, which I think you use, I believe keeps each
email in a separate text file, in a folder structure representing your folders.)

An alternative, not involving Rev at all, would be to use on of the many free
web services available.  I've used doodle.com for some things, which is
excellent for collating responses from a relatively small group choosing
between alternatives, where everyone's response is seen.  But for larger
groups, or where you want anonymous replies, a quick Google suggests tons of
sites offering to host polls.  I suspect many of them are for embedding into
your blog etc, but there must be some which like Doodle host the whole thing.

- Ben