Importing gMail?

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 14 10:29:29 EDT 2009

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:15 AM, James Hurley<jhurley0305 at
> sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > I'm thinking of sending a query (kind of an open ended survey) via
> gMail to
> > members of my neighborhood association.
> >
> > I'm expecting a couple hundred replies. Is there some way to
> import the
> >
> > I've come to believe that there is nothing that members of this
> list cannot
> > do. Is this a bridge too far?
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> I was going to suggest enabling Gmail's POP access and using my POP
> library to get the emails, but after checking, I see Gmail's POP uses
> SSL on port 995 which my library does not do.
>
> However you can set up Gmail to forward all emails to another address
> and if you use one with standard POP access, then you can certainly
> use my POP library as the basis for an email reader. You can download
> the library and a sample stack from <http://www.troz.net/rev/>.
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Sarah,

That is just terrific. This will be a valuable tool for me. Thank you
so much.

In this new Rev campaign let's not overlook the value of the  English-
like dialog on this list--works at least for Australian and American.

However, there is something strange going on here (Mac OS 10.5.8 and
Rev. 3.5 and 4) with your POP Library.
When I click "Check mail" your stack begins to download emails from my
Mac Mail account (from which I have forwarded my gMails). It begins
with: Reading message 1 of 72, and them moves on to message 2 etc.
until it reaches message 30 when it stops reading briefly and begins
all over again from message 1.

The only way to stop this is to close the stack. I should be able to
debug this but I have no idea what is going on. This stuff is way over
my head. Little help please.

Also, in looking through your scripts, I would like to be able to
insert a conditional statement to download only email with a specific
subject but I can't see where to inset this. Is this possible? Not
critical; this can be done after the fact.

Thanks again. Very helpful! My conviction that anything is possible
from this list is sustained. (I've been working on squaring the
circle. Any ideas anybody?)

Jim Hurley

(By the way, the stack opens with the "Read emails" button disabled.
Maybe a card script: On opencard \ set the disabled of button "Read
emails" to false \ end opencard.)