Drop destination path

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 13 02:09:45 EDT 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 7:09 PM, Tariel Gogoberidze wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:35:22 +0200, Klaus Major wrote:
>
>>> if I drop some text or image from Revolution into some arbitrary
>>> folder on hard disk, how do I get the path to this folder?
>>
>> I also would like to get this, but I'm afraid there is no way to get
>> the "dropdestination" from oustside of Rev/MC.
>>
>> Hopefully someone will proof me wrong :-)
>>
>> Klaus Major

>>> how do I get the path to this folder?
Drop the folder onto Rev

> It just escapes me why Rev team didn't implement something like
> dropDestinationPath while rewriting drag and drop routines.
When drag-dropping from one app to another, the first app does not
have a way of 'knowing' what object the second app has used to accept
the drop (if it accepted the drop at all).  This is true for any of
the drag-and-drop between programs that I have experienced in the
past.  The operating system does not know anything about the second
app object definitions or drop areas.  The same thing is true of using
a clipboard to move data.  The first app knows nothing about the paste
operation in the second app.

My design idea would be that the user drags the folder onto the Rev
stack landing area you design, thus Rev now captures the full path.
Step (2) would be to drag the field name (I assume you only allow one
line to be hilited at a time) onto the Rev stack area that 'gets' the
file name.  This is a two-drag system, but it should be simple enough.

You could allow 3-4 places where a user could drag the folder on the
Rev stack and the stack could retain 3-4 different folder paths and
the user would not have to repeat the folder drag very often.

Another implementation (which I prefer) could be that each time a user
drags a folder onto a locked Rev field, that path gets added to that
field listing (deleting duplicates of course, and perhaps doing a
sort).  Now the user can choose the folder and the filename without
having to repeat a drag operation for that folder.  Step (1) click the
folder path field to put the path into a field or global, then step
(2) click the file name to start the FTP.  Adding another folder is
another drag-drop that does not have to be repeated.  ( and extra
feature would be to do 'save this stack' which would retain the path)

If you are using a compiled app, 'save this stack' would not work
since compiled apps cannot be modified.  There are other ways of
saving this info.

A refined, user-friendly app would be a locked field of folder paths
that would check to see if all paths were still valid.  The reason is
that folders on the hard drive can be renamed or moved or deleted,
thus the FTP would fail.  So on mouse up on a locked field, the first
check is to see 'if there is a folder a/b/c/'

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas