Releasing Memory and Virtual Memory

Derek Bump userevolution at dreamscapesoftware.com
Tue Aug 11 17:00:38 EDT 2009

Is there any way to force Revolution to "let go" or "release" excessive
amounts of memory?

I've got a project that scans through a folder of images, imports the
image into an image object (via put url "binfile:"), exports it as a
JPEG, then puts "empty" into the image object (to free it up).

The problem is that after 100 or so images, the amount of memory that
Revolution is using is over 1.5 GB's of Real RAM and 3 GB's of Virtual
RAM.  This, of course, slows down all of my other applications until I
close Revolution.

Meanwhile, in the same project, I can do the same thing manually with
just 1 image, and the memory goes back down.  I import the image into an
image object, export it, and put "empty" into the object.  When I do so,
the Activity Monitor shows a 10 MB drop in RAM usage.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software
http://www.dreamscapesoftware.com