formattedText and Unicode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 9 19:53:18 EDT 2009

I've been avoiding using Unicode because of all the difficulties noted
here with Rev, and I just haven't needed it.  But now I have a bunch of
files in which I don't know whether they're UTF-8 or UTF-16, and I don't
know which language's character set they use.

First, I need to just display these in a field. That would seem simple
enough, but I haven't figured out a reliable way to do this without
knowing some external information about the files.  Use the wrong
character set and they look like junk.

Then I need to get the formattedText of the field so I can measure
distances to line breaks.  So far it seems that the formattedText
property is limited to ASCII only -- is that correct?

Am I just missing something obvious here?

I'll continue with my experiments, but if you have any pointers they
would be much appreciated.

TIA -

--
  Richard Gaskin