Chunks vs Arrays - surprising benchmarking results

Paul Looney support at ahsomme.com
Wed Aug 5 18:52:05 EDT 2009

Richard,
I have nothing to add directly to the chunk vs array discussion
(Trevor's reply was very good) but I have often found it helpful to
increase the speed of compound selections by breaking them into
individual ones.

For instance if you have a large database of names and sexes and you
want to select every female named "Jan" ("Jan" could be male or female).
Select all of the Jans first (this will run much faster than the
compound selection).
Then select all of the females from the result of the first selection
(this will run faster because it is searching only "Jan"s - a very
small list).
This double selection will run faster than a single compound selection.

Obviously this requires a known data-set where one filter will
eliminate a lot of records (selecting "female", then selecting "Jan"
would be much slower in our example because, presumably, half of the
list is female and a small portion is Jan).
On many lists this can create a much bigger speed difference than
chunk vs array variance you noted.
Paul Looney