Helper apps, itms protocol, and us Rev folk

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 4 16:20:22 EDT 2009

Apple has invented an Internet protocol named "itms" ("iTunes Music
Store") so folks can put links on their web pages and clicking on those
links automatically launches iTunes to the specified URL.

While the links themselves are wrapped in JavaScript to attempt verify
that they'll work first, a typical link resolves to something that looks
like this:

<itms://ax.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=80616768&s=143441&ign-mscache=1>

It appears that the iTunes installer registers the itms protocol when
it's installed (prefab on OS X and using the Registry on Windows).

It would be helpful to have a similar behavior for our own apps, the
ability to have links on our site to stack files which launch our own
standalone to run them.

I've noticed that when using simple http links the user is asked (in FF
and IE, anyway) whether they want to download the file or open it with a
specific app, and they can specify your standalone and in some versions
even check a box to always take that action when handling files of that
type.

But that's a lot to ask of users.

I understand the security implications of having such setup happen
automatically, but it sure would be convenient.

How does iTunes register its itms protocol, and can we do the same for
our own apps?  Or is there a way to set up a Helper app to always handle
files of a specific type?

I don't think it's too much to ask if such installation requires admin
permissions, but it would be very handy to have some way to do this.

Any clues?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World