Dumb Newbie Questions -- 1 of N

Scott Morrow scott at elementarysoftware.com
Thu Apr 30 19:38:14 EDT 2009

Hello Judy,

> <snip>    There has to be some threshold at which Mark's approach
> makes sense and underneath that it simply doesn't matter.  What is
> that threshold and why does it matter at that point? </snip>

I agree. However,  trying to define that threshold isn't probably ever
going to be satisfying. I think this is one of those instructional
difficulties that is hard to nail down outside of generalities and
theory.   Using custom props to store data is usually not one of the
concepts I would expect most folks new to Revolution to pick up early
on.  Learning to store data in fields on cards is probably a simpler,
more concrete and logical-next-step method that allows seemingly good
results with the least effort.  (When I teach my 8 and 9 year old
students to use the random function to pick a line of text,  I have
them count the lines and hard code a digit rather than having them use
< the number of lines of field "blah" >  I've tried both and the digit
is more understandable and works best for their needs.) In my case...
even though I understood all the mechanics necessary to store data in
custom props rather than card-based storage in fields, and I'd heard
Richard Gaskin talk about it at two RevCons,  it wasn't until the card-
based solution began failing my needs that I began to REALLY
understand and start to change my way of looking at that part of
design.  (Oh... that's what he meant...<light bulb flickers> )  I
believe Judy is right about some people needing to use card-based
storage. (especially those from a HyperCard background)  The point at
which many of us are ready to learn another way is dependent on prior
knowledge.  Why do I need another way? Until my prior knowledge
included experience with and understanding of particular difficulties
(the NEED to separate data from layout) I wasn't REALLY ready to learn
about it other than in an abstraction or as an exercise.  (No, I'm not
referring to Mr. Gaskin as an abstraction.)

Scott Morrow
Elementary Software