Sound file compatibility and Linux

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 12:32:49 EDT 2009

That sounds a bit odd as I have managed to do distribution upgrades with
Ubuntu without having to do clean installs many times.

My recent problem was two-fold:

1. I chose to 'jump' from 5.10 to 8.04.2 - as doing sequntial dist. upgrades
would take over a week, use an awful lot of electricity, time, and so forth.

This was easily solved by doing a backup of the home directory.

2. (still unresolved) previously the standalones referenced mp3 sound
files (slowed to half-speed as RR and Ubuntu were playing "silly bu**ers"
there); and 8.0.4.2 doesn't "do" mp3 natively, adding capability via
medibuntu doesn't help RR leverage mp3s; so wondering which sound
file will work.