How to store a stack in a custom property

Mark Swindell mdswindell at cruzio.com
Mon Apr 27 10:06:19 EDT 2009

Judy,

A few years ago when custom properties were new I bought Dan Shafer's
custom properties e-chapter of his then-forthcoming book Software at
the Speed of Thought.  Here is a link... http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html
  .  It looks like you an still download the chapter for $5.00.

Mark

On Apr 26, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Judy Perry wrote:

> Hey Joe,
>
> I'm there with you in not understanding it, but unlike you it's NOT
> because I can do something sophisticated and similar; I'm just
> clueless!
>
> But I really want to understand how to do custom properties... do
> you have any of those tutorial links handy?
>
> Judy
> The Rev Village Idiot
>
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009, Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
>
>> Thanks Sarah.
>>
>> I'm obviously missing something, since all of the things you
>> mention can be done with external text files or other stacks that
>> can be read or written to from scripts when their needs arise. I've
>> done some pretty sophisticated data manipulation in this manner. I
>> guess I just don't like the name "custom property" for its being to
>> non-descriptive of what it "is/does/can do". I guess it's one of
>> those "old dog/new trick" syndromes. Jacqi once, very patiently,
>> tried to explain their use to me, all sorts of links to the
>> "tutorials" of others (probably one of yours), but since I never
>> really had a need for them I couldn't resolve otherwise, I found it
>> impossible to focus on understanding the concept. I believe Jim
>> Ault gave it a go too. Guess I'm hopeless! (smile)  Thanks, maybe
>> you've helped someone else.
>>
>> Joe Wilkins
>>
>> On Apr 26, 2009, at 8:08 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>>> One possibility is a document based app, where you need to create a
>>> new stack every time the user wants a new document.
>>> You store a template stack in a custom property and spit it out
>>> whenever needed.
>>> Another idea is for saving data or settings. Since you cannot save
>>> directly to the standalone (unless you have separate sub-stacks),
>>> you
>>> could have a prefs stack stored in a CP. When you launch the app,
>>> check if the stackfile exists and if so, read the settings from
>>> it. If
>>> it doesn't exist, create one with default settings from your custom
>>> property.
>>> Cheers,