[ANN] First On-Rev based CMS and Blog system available.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Apr 23 14:41:36 EDT 2009

Mark Wieder wrote:
> Jim-
>
> Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 5:09:01 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Oh I wouldn't have done that, Andre. Knowing Jacque's capabilities it also
>> filters for bad words, grabbed your IP, did a DNS lookup, and generated an
>> automatic complaint email to your ISP with your story as an attachment. ;-)
>
> rotfl. Ask Jacque sometime about her bad-word aol filter...

Ah yes, the old bad-word AOL scanner. You have a long memory. :)

For those who havent' heard about it: back when I worked in the AOL
HyperCard Forum, staff had to check every file upload individually to
make sure it passed the Terms of Service, which meant no pornography or
inappropriate language. For HyperCard stacks this was a pain. We had to
open and read every single script on every card, as well as the contents
of every field. It was common to spend 3 hours or more per day verifying
files for release.

To save time, I wrote a little HyperCard stack that did the scanning for
me. It stored a fairly massive list of blue words and looked through
each script and field for matches. It could verify a whole folder of
files at once, and cut my time down to about 15 minutes a day. I gave it
to all the staff in the HyperCard forum and we were all happy. My boss
suggested I give it to the Desktop Publishing forum too, because they
were stuck reading some very long documents. They all liked it and began
using it regularly, which made me all puffed up and proud. Someone over
there suggested I upload it to the main AOL Staff Forum so that all
staff throughout AOL could use it, so I did.

It was quite a while before I finally got a form rejection letter.
Curious, I wrote back and asked why a useful tool like that was being
rejected. They answered that they couldn't release it because it
contained inappropriate language which violated the TOS.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com