OT: USED MACs

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Thu Apr 23 14:06:43 EDT 2009

Stephen and Richard,

hey what ever you dont give away there was a school over in oakland (i
think the jr high just behind the grand lake theatre) that had a lab
program where the kids take in donated old equipment and either
frankenstein together systems or recycle what is not recoverable and
then either donate the computers to other schools that need them or
low income families w/o a computer. Great all around, kids learn how
to build computers and trouble shoot, computers go back into use by
folks that would not otherwise have a system and at worst things are
properly disposed/recycled! Would not be surprised if SF had a similar
program somewhere in the area.

I donated my beloved old IIfx, a g3, an old power computing machine
and a pile of misc equipment when we moved east from the Oakland about
6 years back. Hope the program is still going on. they were doing macs
and pcs but the teacher running it was very happy to get the mac
equipment even though it was old because they had such stellar results
with the mac equipment compared to the pc stuff and a greater demand
for it!

I now get rid of old tech as fast as possible when i upgrade so that
it can find a new home and be as useful for as long as possible in its
next life. I use to hang onto stuff as i it was hard to let go of, but
am trying to get better about it. also trying to purchase more for the
long term than short term where possible and that has worked well with
longer computer cycles now.

I never had a mac die (small parts sometimes broke, but never major
failure), where as i have never had a pc last more than 3 years w/o a
major failure in the last 30 years of computers... All the macs
usually were give not desperate friends or sold off cheap to someone
who could really use them and most are remarkably still living on
today! My old SE from grad school is still being used (last i heard
like a year back) by a friend who is a writer and for some odd reason
finds it the best place to do her creative composing! running on a
60mb quantum drive from 1988! She has to go through some convolutions
to move her text over to her imac, but she still loves the old SE. i
just cant believe it has not died or the hard drive has not seized up!
The IIfx above had a cup of coffee spilled under it by a co worker and
it was sucked up in side the machine, shorting out the whole underside
of the motherboard (imagine the combination smell of burned coffee and
electronics)! after tearing it all apart and cleaning it up the only
thing fried was the eprom back up battery and the resistor soldered to
it. those replaced and right back to working on and on and on... That
was my portable computer for 2 years back and forth to a job in DC
from the bay area in the early 90s, folk probably wondered what the
large box i was stuffing in the overhead! BTW an apple high res 13"
monitor also fit in the standard overhead!

sorry the old machines make me very nostalgic...

if i were still in the bay area i might take you up on an appleII but
my wife would probably kill me! I lost track of the elementary school
teacher friend who had my Basis 108 and was using it till the mid 90s
for her classroom when i lost track of her...

cheers,

Jeffrey Reynolds

ps still have a kaypro lurking at my folks house and a sinclair z80 in
the basement somewhere!

On Apr 21, 2009, at 8:55 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com