[OT] Deciding about On-Rev

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Wed Apr 22 11:59:33 EDT 2009

On 22/4/09 16:59, "George C Brackett" <gbrackett at luceatlux.com> wrote:

> Yes, you can.  I can do without sudo/root, but I can't do without SSH
> access.  I've been thinking through what I actually use to manage my
> multiple domains, and command-line access -- to run scripts directly,
> to execute shell commands, to be sure I know for sure the contents of
> any directory, to easily edit such things as .htaccess files and
> other . files, in short, to have Unix/Linux/Darwin available -- is the
> minimum ability I want.

A little more on this one: its basically about security. We have to
administer the systems via SSH. This means that simply opening SSH to all
users would pose a security risk. Obviously its perfectly possibly to
secure SSH and we want to take the time to make sure that get this right,
providing the functionality that you need, with the security you expect.

We are going to provide a shell experience within the On-Rev client, which
should answer your needs and help provide the complete web- management
experience we're envisaging from the client. However, that's not arrived
yet, and we appreciate that you need server access. Short term we will
provide SSH access on a request basis to customers on an IP address
restricted basis: if you can't live without it, simply drop us a note with
your username and IP address to support at on-rev.com and we'll enable SSH for
you.

Longer term expect the On-Rev client to provide shell access. We'll also
keep the option of SSH under review.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution - User-Centric Development Tools