Valentina DB 4.1 Introduces Groundbreaking SQL Feature

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Apr 22 08:40:16 EDT 2009

On 4/22/09 1:41 PM, "David Bovill" <david.bovill at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi David,

> Thanks Lynn / Ruslan - I've been waiting FOREVER for something that properly
> handles tree / hierarchical data structures!
>
> I seriously can't believe (ranting slightly) , that this is such a rare
> facility in the world of computer languages and databases. Object-like
> hierarchical structures are simply everywhere, from the folder structures we
> all use, to documents, and the most natural way to describe relationships
> between people and things we use in everyday life. And then of course we
> have the dreaded XML. I guess it must be harder to implement technically
> than you'd figure ( Ruslan you're officially down for a Nobel prize - or at
> least a Guiness in this corner of London).

Thank you.

Actually this is result of efforts as some of Valentina users, which was
brave enough to DREAM aloud. So our team. Big amount of work in
implementation of this task did Ivan.

> 2009/4/21 Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua>
>

>> NEW COMMANDS looks like this:
>>
>> vext_recursive_table         -- v4.1
>>    :   {ANCESTORS | BROTHERS | DESCENDANTS} OF vext_root_objects
>>        [{TO|ON} LEVEL UINT] USING link_name [WITH {ROOT | ROOTS}]
>

> Taken a brief look - my question is regarding networks of nodes (that is
> cyclic / acyclic graphs) - searching these / and representing these in
> Valentina's object-relational data structures (I'm not a current Valentina
> user, so I'm working from memory here).
>
> Essentially the sort of thing I'd like to be able to do is represent object
> relationships, as a connected graph, and then have access to fast powerful
> data structures that allow me to search that graph from a particular node,
> recursively moving from node to node across the graph. This is effectively
> searching of hierarchical (tree) data, but more generalised and adds the
> danger of (cyclic) recursion type problems? Is this the sort of thing we can
> model and do with these new features of Valentina?

Have you read article, docs, examples deeply?
Please do to not force us repeat them in letters :-)

You can now in Valentina
    * specify ONE or SET of root records
        using their RecID, ID, some conditions

    * find e.g. Descendants (ALL or some)
    * filter them by some WHERE conditions.

So in result you get ONE or SET records.

-----------
Navigation from record to record -- Hmm,
    in fact this can do any DB always.
    you just establish self-recursive relation on table.

New commands do not need here.

--------
Our commands now work on HIERARCHY. I.e. No circles.

If you need circles, please come to Valentina list,
And we will discuss this step by step.

------
We see yet 2-3 quite big steps with recursion,
For example joins based on recursive links. And other tasks..

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology