[OT] Deciding about On-Rev

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Tue Apr 21 01:16:59 EDT 2009

Colin Holgate wrote:
> What does SSH give you that you don't get with the secure disk image
> access?

Hi Colin,

I assume when you say "secure disk image access" you're talking about
WebDAV, which is what on-rev offers.

In a nutshell:
- SSH gives you the ability to execute any line command known to the
server. You have a user account on the server and can log into it and do
whatever you know how to do via the command line, including the setting
of server properties, the running of scripts, etc.

- WebDAV lets you mount a server-side folder on your computer as though
it were an external HD, and you can use it like one (except
upload/download speeds are are subject to your internet connection
speed, unlike an external HD!). So WebDAV's functionality is limited to
file services, but you have a GUI for it.

I wish on-rev had SSH. However, its absence is partially compensated for
by the power of Rev code in irev pages, if indeed the server version of
Rev will give us abilities like those of the desktop versions to sense
and control similar kinds of things.
--
Phil Davis

PDS Labs