convert to scientific notation

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon Apr 20 20:03:39 EDT 2009

Randall,

I think you are confusing two different concepts.

10^2 = 100, not 2^10 = 100.

What you want is something like this:

Step 1) 10^x = 100
Step 2) log 10^x = log 100
Step 3) x log 10 = log 100
Step 4) x = log 100 / log 10

In short, you need to use logarithms and you'll get a formula where x
= log y / log z.

If you were trying to solve x^10 = 100, then you could do what you
suggest and just raise both side to the (1/10)th power. But that
number will not be 2 -- it's about 1.58.