on-Rev and Domain Names

Yves COPPE yvescoppe at skynet.be
Sat Apr 18 15:40:12 EDT 2009

Le 18-avr.-09 à 21:32, Malte Brill a écrit :

> Hi Colin,
>
> If you forward from your original domain it is like someone asks you
> "Where do I find your candy store that has the goodies" at your
> office. You then tell them "It is in abc.on-rev street, this is just
> the office, move along, nothing to buy here" You redirect them
> there. If you do the DNS "trick" it is like those people look into
> the yellow pages to look for the location of the candy store directly.
>
> The DNS stuff translates the domain name you enter to the actual IP
> address your content is hosted on. If you point the domain to on-rev
> s name servers any request to the domain will land on the on-rev
> space and the domain name will show in the browser. This service
> costs a few pennies on top of your hosting cost for the people that
> add the entry (just like an entry into the yellow pages literally)
>
> Hmm. I guess I am not that good at giving metaphors. <g>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Malte

Hi Malte,

I'm not so experimented in web site
and I don't understand what you mean

Suppose you have an existing website : www.mydomain.com
and want to stop your yearly subscription by your web-hoster and stop
your existing web site by this wb hoster
and then you move your web site to an on-rev server

if the visitor type in his browser : "www.mydomain.com", will he be
directed to your site ?

thanks.

Amicalement.